Thursday, April 29, 2010
- The Eiffel Tower was built for the 1889 World's Fair. Construction began on January 26, 1887 and was completed on March 31, 1889.
- Alexandre Gustave Eiffel was the main architect of the project. He also created the internal frame for the Statue of Liberty in 1885.
- The tower stands 324 meters tall and is constructed of 9441 tons of the highest quality wrought iron.
- The tower is painted every seven years using three shades of brown (painted darkest to lightest). It requires 60 tons of paint and is still done by using brushes.
- The tower was planned to be dismantled and sold for scrap 20 years after its construction... those plans are still on hold.
Posted by Syd & Harper at 10:42 AM
Thursday, April 22, 2010
Monday, April 19, 2010
Tuesday, April 13, 2010
It was February 3, 2009 when I was lucky enough to hear the first notes rehearsed of Jennifer Higdon's brand new violin concerto performed by the Indianapolis Symphony and the wonderful Hilary Hahn. I was on vacation from my job there but braved a very snowy morning to hear the first rehearsal. Now, over a year later, Higdon has won the Pulitzer Prize in music for her fabulous work of art. She very much deserves the award as she is one of the finest composers of our time. Earlier this year she won a Grammy for her percussion concerto. While classical music does not garner the attention it deserves, I urge you to check out music that is composed by Higdon as I think it speaks to a new generation of listeners.
Posted by Syd & Harper at 10:18 PM
Sunday, April 11, 2010
This image of their sign out front may be backwards because I took it on my computer, but Perk Up is truly a forward thinking cafe/restaurant. The staff is unique and so much fun to be around. They roast their own coffee beans which makes some of the best coffee in the city, their homemade pastries are incredible and the authentic German artisan bread is one-of-a-kind. The small location housed a 24 person dinner party last night that made for a fabulous time. It was a great opportunity to meet some wonderful new friends and enjoy gourmet food.
Check out this place as soon as you can! It's located right off the Monon in Broad Ripple. Go to www.perkupindy.com for more info.
Posted by Syd & Harper at 9:59 AM
Friday, April 9, 2010
Thursday, April 8, 2010
You'll notice a white mannequin head lingering about in many of our photographs and even at the top of this blog at the moment. We purchased four of these and they have become a mascot of sorts. We have sold one and the other three are strategically placed around our booth or hidden elsewhere around Midland.
Posted by Syd & Harper at 11:08 PM