- The Eiffel Tower was built for the 1889 World's Fair. Construction began on January 26, 1887 and was completed on March 31, 1889.
- Alexandre Gustave Eiffel was the main architect of the project. He also created the internal frame for the Statue of Liberty in 1885.
- The tower stands 324 meters tall and is constructed of 9441 tons of the highest quality wrought iron.
- The tower is painted every seven years using three shades of brown (painted darkest to lightest). It requires 60 tons of paint and is still done by using brushes.
- The tower was planned to be dismantled and sold for scrap 20 years after its construction... those plans are still on hold.
Thursday, April 29, 2010
Posted by Syd & Harper at 10:42 AM